2018 Fellows Program: FAQs
1. What are the eligibility requirements to become an America Needs You Fellow?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
a. Neither of my parents/guardians have a bachelor’s degree (from any country)
b. I am a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or currently (at the time of submitting an application) eligible for full-time work in the U.S.
c. I am a freshman attending a 4-year university or community college
- If applying in New York you must attend a CUNY school
- If attending community college, you must intend to transfer to a 4-year school (ANY provides transfer support)
- ANY defines “freshman” as having earned no more than 30 credits by 3/1/2018 if on a semester schedule and no more than 45 credits by 3/1/2018 if on a quarterly schedule
d. I am in the process of obtaining my first associate’s or bachelor’s degree
e. I am available to attend regular Saturday workshops (workshops occur bi-weekly in Year 1 starting in July 2018; monthly in Year 2)
f. I am considered low-income by my state HUD (Housing and Urban Development) guidelines (see below)
2. What is a first-generation college student?
ANY considers applicants first-generation college students if neither of their parents has completed a bachelor’s degree from the U.S. or any country. Applicants’ parents could have received an associate’s degree, but nothing greater. Also, the applicant cannot have already earned a bachelor’s degree in the U.S. or from another country. If you believe you have a special circumstance, please email email@example.com or complete the optional essay to explain.
3. Am I still eligible for the program if there is a change in my DACA status?
We stand with Dreamers and believe that America needs you. You are eligible to apply to our program if you currently (at the time of submitting an application) have work authorization. If DACA authorization is revoked or expires after applying to our program, you can still participate if accepted, and we will support your career development in every way we can.
4. How do I know if I meet the income eligibility requirement?
5. When does the Fellows Program application open?
The application is live! It can be found here: https://www.americaneedsyou.org/fellow-application.
6. When is the application due?
The deadline for the Fellows Program application, and all related materials including a letter of recommendation, is March 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST.
7. Can I mail my application?
America Needs You will not accept mailed application materials under any circumstances.
8. When will I hear back about the status of my application?
We will notify you of the 2018 Interview Day between March and May (depending on region) – everyone will receive an email. We will announce the 2018 cohort by the end of May 2018.
9. Do applicants have to submit all of the essays?
Yes. Each essay has a 250 word limit. The only essay that is not mandatory is the final one, which is listed as optional. Applicants may complete this essay to boost their candidacy, especially if they feel they need to provide clarification about their eligibility or application.
10. How do my references submit letters of recommendation?
WizeHive, our application system, will prompt you to input your recommender’s email address in the “Add or Edit Recommendation Requests” section of the menu page. It will then provide a unique link to the recommender to upload a letter after you click “Send.” Although you can submit an application without the recommendation, your application is not complete until your recommender submits your letter.
11. Is there an America Needs You recommendation form?
No, each reference needs to complete a tailored letter of recommendation.
12. Who can I use as a recommender?
Applicants are allowed to use anyone as a recommender as long as that person is not a friend or family member. Candidates often use a current or former professor, guidance counselor, advisor, supervisor, etc.
13. Can you tell me if my recommendation letter is uploaded?
Candidates will receive a notification email from Wizehive, our application system, once a recommender submits a letter. Please check your spam folders as well.
14. What if my recommender says he or she never received a link to provide a letter?
Confirm the email address you provided is correct in your application account and ask your recommender to check spam folders. You may also choose to “Resend Request” within your application.
15. Whom do I contact if I have additional questions about the application?
For all other inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.