2017 Fellows Program: FAQs
1. What are the eligibility requirements to become an America Needs You Fellow?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
a. Neither of my parents/guardians have a bachelor’s degree (from any country)
b. I am a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible for full-time work in the U.S. by July 2017
c. I am a freshman attending a 4-year university or community college
- If applying in New York you must attend a CUNY school
- If attending community college, you must intend to transfer to a 4-year school (ANY provides transfer support)
- ANY defines “freshman” as having earned no more than 30 credits by 3/1/2017 if on a semester schedule and no more than 45 credits by 3/1/2017 if on a quarterly schedule
d. I am in the process of obtaining my first associate’s or bachelor’s degree
e. I am available to attend regular Saturday workshops (workshops occur bi-weekly in Year 1 starting in July 2017; monthly in Year 2)
f. I am considered low-income by my state HUD (Housing and Urban Development) guidelines (see #14 below)
2. When does the Fellows Program application open?
The application is live! It can found here: https://www.americaneedsyou.org/fellow-application/.
3. When is the application due?
The deadline for the Fellows Program application, and all related materials including a letter of recommendation, is March 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM CST.
4. When does the 2017 Fellows Program begin?
The accepted class will be announced by the end of May 2017 and Fellows will begin the program in July. Fellows must attend 4 workshops during the summer of 2017; all workshops will be held on Saturdays.
5. How do my references submit letters of recommendation?
WizeHive, our application system, will prompt you to input your recommender’s email address in the “Add or Edit Recommendation Requests” section of the menu page. It will then provide a unique link to the recommender to upload a letter after you click “Send.” Although you can submit an application without the recommendation, your application is not complete until your recommender submits your letter.
6. Is there an America Needs You recommendation form?
No, each reference needs to complete a tailored letter of recommendation.
7. Who can I use as a recommender?
Applicants are allowed to use anyone as a recommender as long as that person is not a friend or family member. Candidates often use a current or former professor, guidance counselor, advisor, supervisor, etc.
8. Can you tell me if my recommendation letter is uploaded?
Candidates will receive a notification email from Wizehive, our application system, once a recommender submits a letter. Please check your spam folders as well.
9. What if my recommender says he or she never received a link to provide a letter?
Confirm the email address you provided is correct in your application account and ask your recommender to check spam folders. You may also choose to “Resend Request” within your application.
10. Can applications be mailed?
America Needs You will not accept mailed application materials under any circumstances.
11. Do applicants have to submit all of the essays?
Yes. Each essay has a 250 word limit. The only essay that is not mandatory is the final one, which is listed as optional. Applicants may complete this essay to boost their candidacy, especially if they feel they need to provide clarification about their eligibility or application.
12. What is a first-generation college student?
ANY considers applicants first-generation college students if neither of their parents has completed a bachelor’s degree from the U.S. or any country. Applicants’ parents could have received an associate’s degree, but nothing greater. Also, the applicant cannot have already earned a bachelor’s degree in the U.S. or from another country. If you believe you have a special circumstance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the optional essay to explain.
13. When will I hear back about the status of my application?
Notification about the 2017 Interview Day will be provided between March and May (depending on region) – everyone will receive an email. The class selection announcement will be made by the end of May 2017.
14. How do I know if I meet the income eligibility requirement?
15. Who do I contact if I have additional questions about the application?
For all other inquiries, please email email@example.com.